Baseball       Football       Inline Hockey       Hockey      3 on 3 Hockey       Lacrosse    Rugby    School Sports       Soccer       More Sports   Ultimate Frisbee 

Mooretown Flags Take a Win and a Loss in Overtime
Pat Brethauer September 23, 2012

In Great Lakes Jr C. Hockey League action the Mooretown Flags travelled to Watford to take on the Alvinston Flyers on Friday night and skated away with their first win of the season.  The Flags won in overtime 4 - 3.

"We were a little slow getting going in the first period" said Head Coach Jordan Pennesi "But we came out flying in the second"

Kyle Cutler scored in the only goal in the first for Alvinston on the power play.  In the second at :59 seconds Dan Lumley from Mike Burns opened the scoring for Mooretown.  McGregor Haddon went on and scored a power play from Travis Mullen to give the Flags the lead.  Travis Mullen scored the third goal of the period shorthanded to take the 3 - 1 lead after two periods of play.

Third period saw Alvinston claw their way back with the first goal scored by Josh Moore on a power play and late in the period Joe Archer tied things up and regulation time would end with both sides tied at 3 - 3.

In overtime Mooretown would score their only power play goal to give them the win.  Adam Hayes scored assisted by McGregor Haddon and Dan Lumley.

Mooretown took a total of 40 minutes in penalties giving Alvinston 10 power play opportunities.  Alvinston penalty time totalled 16 minutes giving Mooretown just 2 opportunities which they scored on both.

Braden Palocz earned the win making a total of 40 saves.  Jamie Morreau took the loss with 24 saves.

On Saturday the Flags were back at home to face the ESSEX 73's.  The score was the same 4 - 3 but this time it was Essex that took the win in overtime. 

"Penalty troubles costs us in the end." said Pennesi "I thought we played well in the first period and came out hard in the second period and got the lead."

The Flags scored their first goal on a power play by Andrew Sokol from Adam Hayes.  Essex answered back midway in the period to tie things up heading into the second.  Scott Bromley scored for Essex.  In the second period Caden Fleming from Riley Roberts and Dan Lumley scored for Mooretown to give the Flags the lead once again. 

Third period saw Matthew Hebert and Jordan Ryan score the tying goal and go ahead goals at 6:09 and 6:52.  Less than a minute later Jordan Orth from Mike Burns and Jordan McBeath came back to tie things up.  As the period was coming to a close Mooretown's Jordan McBeath was ejected for checking from behind that cost a penalty and a man short heading into overtime.

In overtime, another hit from behind by Anderw Sokol cost the Flags to be short two men for a brief time.  The Flags fought off that battle however they were still one man short when Adam Thiebert scored the game winner for Essex.

"It was most definitely our best efforts this season for full 60 minutes but with a short bench and coming down to third period you get a little tired and it cost us, we took too many penalties." said Pennesi

Brandon Johnson took the loss despite making 38 saves, Trevor Wheaton earned the win with just 19 saves in the game.

Mooretown Flags vs Essex 73's

The Flags see action next week on Friday Sept 28 when they travel to Belle River, then back at home on Saturday Sept 29 when they host Wallaceburg.  Game time 7:30pm.

430 Albany Street Petrolia






Follow Sarniasports on twitter @sarniasports. Get up to the minute news, and live scores

as they happen from local events. 

  1999 - 2011 - All rights reserved                                                   About Us       Contact       Jobs