Baseball       Football       Inline Hockey       Hockey      3 on 3 Hockey       Lacrosse       School Sports       Soccer       More Sports       Magazine     Features

Sarnia Sting Major Bantam AA Advance to Playoff Championship

March 22nd, 2012

On Friday the Major Bantam’s hosted the Waterloo Wolves Gold in game two in the first to 4pt series. Sarnia won the previous matchup the night before and a win on this night would send the Sting to the Playoff Championship Series. Sarnia would again begin the game with a short bench as many players were still away on vacation, Sarnia came out hard to start the game and scored the first goal just thirty seconds into the matchup as Nolan Riley would snap a high wrist shot from the slot that went off the Wolves blocker up in the air and drop behind the goalie and slide into the back of the net giving the Sting an early 1-0 lead, Devin Butler picked up the assist on the play. Half way through the first period the Wolves would tie the game up at 1-1 on a Sting defensive zone breakdown. A couple of minutes later the Wolves would take the lead 2-1 with a power-play marker. Less than a minute later the Sting would tie the game up as Sean Ginnell would beat the Wolves net-minder on a beautiful low shot to the corner, Aiden Chapdelaine and Kyle Adams would pick-up assists on the play. Sarnia would score another goal on the same shift just forty seconds later but this time it was Aiden Chapdelaine beating the Wolves goaltender as Kyle Adams and Sean Ginnell would pick-up assists on the play giving the Sting a 3-2 lead at the end of the first period. 

Second period action was probably the most spirited period of the game as both teams racked up penalty after penalty. Waterloo would tie the game up a 3-3 a couple of minutes into the second period but the Sting would respond twenty nine seconds later to restore the one goal lead at 4-3 with Aiden Chapdelaine getting his second of the game with Devin Butler and Kyle Adams assisting on the play. Both teams were playing very physical as you could see the game turning from hockey into a who’s tougher contest. Sarnia’s Sean Kelly took a vicious late hit from behind into the boards in the Sting zone, Sean got up from the hit immediately and decided to take matters into his own hands as Mr Kelly and the Wolves player got into a first a cuff in front of the Sarnia net that sent both players to the box for a while. Waterloo Wolves player Brandon Peckford was busy during the second period running around hitting everything he could see instead of playing hockey getting under all the Sting players skin. With under a minute left in the second period Sarnia’s Sean Ginnell had enough of Peckford as he left the bench and went after the Wolves player, they two mutually agreed to drop the gloves and went at it with the Sting player coming out on top feeding the Waterloo player several good shots, both players were sent to the box for ten minute inciting penalties as the second period came to a close with the Sting up 4-3.

Third period action both teams came out playing hockey again as both teams had some good scoring chances but neither team could finish. With just over five minutes left in the game Waterloo would tie it up 4-4 with a power-play goal. Waterloo would take the lead with just 3:41 left in the game on another defensive zone breakdown by the Sting giving the Wolves a 5-4 lead. Waterloo would strike again just thirty one seconds later for the 6-4 lead. With the game looking like the Wolves were going to be taking this matchup forcing a deciding game back in Waterloo the Sting had other plans on their mind. Sarnia never gave up (start the cue for the dramatic comeback) with the Sarnia goaltender on the bench for the extra attacker, Sarnia’s Aiden Chapdelaine would record his natural hat trick banging in a rebound in front of the net with just 1:36 left in the game with Trent Duncan and Devin Butler recording assists. Sarnia again would control the play and force a faceoff in the Wolves end, Sarnia would call a timeout and again pull the goaltender for the extra attacker and this time is was Nolan Riley with the beautiful wrist shot from the slot over the Wolves goaltender’s shoulder to tie the game up at 6-6 with Sean Ginnell setting Riley up in the slot at the :55 second marker. After the ensuing face off Sarnia yet again would get the puck deep in the Waterloo zone as they continued to pressure the Wolves who were clearly on their heels as Sean Ginnell would prove to be the hero on this day as he would score the winner with just :38 seconds left in the game with Aiden Chapdelaine and Nolan Riley picking up assists on the game winner. Waterloo players and parents were left stunned at having a two goal lead with less than two minutes to play to have the rug pulled out from under them. Sarnia’s victory was a sweep in the series over the Wolves and now sends them to the Playoff Championship Series.

The Major Bantam AA team is now the last Sarnia Hockey Rep team standing as they look to bring home the Championship to cap off a great season.

AA Playoff Championship Series vs Hamilton Reps  (6pt Series)

Game #1 - Fri.  Mar. 23 @ 7:00 PM Sarnia Arena

Game #2 - Sat. Mar. 24 @ 6:00 PM Chedoke

Game #3 - Sun. Mar. 25 @ 3:00 PM Clearwater Blue

Game #4 - Fri.   Mar. 30 @ 7:00 PM Chedoke

Game #5 - Sat.  Mar. 31 @ 4:30 PM Clearwater Blue

Game #6 - TBD