Baseball       Football       Inline Hockey       Hockey      3 on 3 Hockey       Lacrosse    Rugby    School Sports       Soccer       More Sports   Ultimate Frisbee      Newspaper     Features


Legionnaires Continue to Struggle on the Road

Friday February 15, 2013

By Dan McCaffery

ST. MARYS The Sarnia Legionnaires continued their Jekyll and Hyde routine here Friday, losing to the last place St. Marys Lincolns just one night after defeating the first place Chatham Maroons.

Calvin Penney scored in the final minute of play to give the Stone Town squad a 5-4 win.

Afterward, Legionnaire head coach Dan Rose said his club needs to work harder on the road. His players, he continued, do well at home in front of big crowds. But on the road they have one of the worst records in the entire Greater Ontario Junior Hockey League.

In fact, Sarnia has won just six of 24 contests away from the Brock Street Barn this winter. By way of contrast, the Legionnaires have 15 home victories.

Friday's game was a nail-biter all the way.

Kurtis Lavis gave the Lincs an early lead, scoring at 2:36 of the opening period with St. Marys on the power play.

But Nathan Mater got that one back just 11 seconds later, batting a puck in out of the air. Cody Slaght drew an assist on the play.

Jason Teschke gave the Legion crew the lead at the eight minute mark when he accepted a nice cross-ice pass and one-timed the puck into the cage from the faceoff circle. Matt Cimetta and Jeff King were credited with helpers on the play.

There was one fight in the opening 20-minutes that saw Sarnia's Derek D'Andrea score a decisive win over Lincs tough guy Dylan Bedard.  Bedard, who has been in three fights since joining the Lincolns eight games ago, was hit with several upper cuts and left the game bleeding profusely.

In the second period St. Marys got goals from Lavis and Penney to grab a 3-2 edge.

But Steve Farlow scored with a blistering drive from the point to tie the contest heading into the final stanza. Teschke and Davis Boyer assisted.

Teschke broke the deadlock in the third period with a backhand shot from the slot. Farlow and Slaght set the play up.

But David Sproat and Penney scored to give St. Marys the win. Penney's goal came with just 47 seconds left in regulation time.

The Legionnaires outshot St. Marys 38-32.

Andrew Ganter took the loss in the Sarnia net, although he made several good saves.












1999 - 2012 - All rights reserved

About Us       Contact       Jobs