Home   Baseball   Bowling  Football    Hockey   3 on 3 Hockey    Lacrosse    Rugby    School Sports   Soccer  Ultimate Frisbee     

Sarnia Hockey Atom House League Week 5
Wednesday January 8, 2014

By Lincoln Simpson
Photos by Pat Brethauer from November 9


November 16. 2013: It was a double-header week in Atom House League hockey this week, and this already special week was also greeted by the addition of newly minted team names. So cozy up by the fire, get some hot chocolate and enjoy this extended version of the usual weekly write-up. In the opening set of games, The Orange Crush hosted Red Giants, The Green Machine took on the Black Shadows, The Grey Griffons faced off against the Blue Marlins, and lastly The Yellow Submarine took on the White Tigers.



            The early game saw the Orange Crush face the Red Giants. It was a high scoring affair and to get it started was Ewan Morrison who finished off the pass from Nick Cahill to put the Crush up by a goal. Not long after, Anthony Bullock added to the lead and put his team up by two goals. Answering the bell though were Crus Maness and Mason Minielly who brought the Giants back even. But before the period was up, The Crush’s Anthony Bullock twice received silver platter passes from Jazen Wark and he made no mistake completing his hat-trick and putting the Crush up 4-2 going into the second period. In that period Jazen Wark netted a marker of his own followed by teammate Kyle Dong and the pair extended the lead to 6-2 for the Crush. But the Giants weren’t done A late push allowed Ryan Proulx to net his first of the game followed by Matthew Davies finishing off the play with Cyrus Maness. The atmosphere was tense in the last few moments of the game with the late push but Victor Tang iced the game for the Crush scoring the insurance goal late bringing the score to 7-5.



            Next up was the Green Machine and the Black Shadows. Opening the scoring was Machinist Brady Krasinkiewicz who scored the unassisted marker minutes into the frame. The Shadow’s Chase Nickels drew even the scoring when Aaron Coene found him with a dandy pass. But the Machine was just warming up, and quickly, Aiden Matuzic and Costa Colombo had each scored to put the Green Machine ahead by two. In the second, Nickels scored again for the Shadows briefly bringing his team back within one. But the next shift out, Costa Colombo nullified the goal by scoring again for the Machine. Machinist Joe MacNiel then put home the Quinton Bouma pass and extended the lead further. Aiden Matuzic netted his second of the game to put Green in a powerful position going into the final frame, but Aaron Coene took matters into his own hands and fired home a wrister to try to spark his team just before the second buzzer. In the final frame, Chris Blair took the Shadow’s momentum and used it to draw his team within one. But the Machine’s Logan Lamberts pushed the Green lead back to two. Chris Blair took it personally and netted his second of the frame and the Shadows were back within one. But the Machine was mighty and used their skating to seal the deal. In the last minute Colombo put the hat trick goal in the back of the net and was quickly followed by Joe MacNiel who scored his second of the game. Final in this one was 9-6.




            The Grey Griffons took the ice next and did battle with the Blue Marlins. In the first, The Marlins’ Chris Latosinsky took the pass from Owen Dufor, walked in, and put one into the back of the Griffon net. The Marlins held the lead for the rest of the period until Jack Birbeck netted the first Griffon goal and pulled the game back even. Through the second period the teams went back and forth and turned the game into a defensive chess match and the credit lies with Mitchell Clarke and Devon Authier who kept the puck from crossing either goal line the entire period. In the third though, top Griffon scorer Nolan Jennings scored a pair with the help of Ethan Wark and put the game out of reach for the Marlins.


            The Yellow Submarine then played host to the White Tigers in the final morning game. The first goal was a came off the tape of the Tigers’ Craig Washington just minutes into the game. The teams then waited until the final minute of the period when they traded goals. The first coming from another Tiger, this time Jeremy MacMillan who finished the Michael Acker pass and made it 2-0. But with just seconds before the period came to and end, Adam Walker hit twine cutting the Tigers’ lead in half. Minutes into the second period Acker netted another for White. Adam Walker responded again for The Yellow Submarine and it was 3-2. Washington scored another Tiger goal seconds later though and regained the two-goal lead again, but Jack Hogan scored with the clock ticking down in the second to draw close once more. In the final period Acker scored twice more extending the two-goal breathing room for his White team. But the ever-scrappy Yellow Submarine wasn’t done. Walker netted his third goal and drew his team back within one. But the late push ran out of time and the White Tigers escaped with a 6-5 victory.









© 1999 - 2013 Sarniasports.com - All rights reserved

About Us       Contact       Jobs