Archives   Baseball   Bowling  Football    Hockey   3 on 3 Hockey    Lacrosse   Soccer   Lambton College-Basketball

Sting Earned Point vs Rangers

january 15, 2015


The Sarnia Sting didn't get a win, Thursday night against the Kitchener Rangers. But they had to feel pretty good about the single point they picked up, nonetheless.

As has been their habit lately, the Sting rallied late to tie a game, once again foiling all Sting fans who like to leave the RBC Centre with around five minutes left to play in the third period.

This time it was Pavel Zacha providing the heroics scoring early in the third period to put the Sting on the board, after the Rangers had taken a 2-0 lead, then scoring again on a remarkably similar play to tie the game 2-2, at 19:03, with Sting goalie Taylor Dupuis on the bench for the extra attacker.

"At the end of the day, it was Pavel Zacha who kind of took over the game in the third period," said Sting coach Trevor Letowski, when asked about his team's latest comeback.

Though the Rangers scored to win the game, 3-2, in overtime, Letowski said he was proud of his team's play.

"That was a gutsy effort. We played hard for 60 minutes," said Letowski. "We knew it would be a dogfight. ... There weren't a lot of scoring chances for either side. It was a fairly evenly-played game. We just came up a little short in overtime."

The Rangers seemed to be playing with a little extra jump early in the game, forging a 12-3 lead in shots on goal at one point in the first period.

But the Sting battled back and, by the early stages of the second period, shots were 13-13 (Kitchener wound up outshooting the Sting overall, 29-27).
Still the game was scoreless until late in the middle period when Kitchener's Darby Llewellyn buried a shot after being set up in the slot.

Brandon Robinson made it 2-0 early in the third on a controversial rebound goal that bounced in off his skate. After a review, the goal was allowed to stand.

But, less than 30 seconds later, Zacha made it 2-1 when he blew past a Kitchener defenceman on his off wing and backhanded a shot past Rangers goalie Jake Paterson.

Zacha's tying goal was nearly identical except that he was knocked down by the Rangers defender shortly after getting away the backhand shot. The puck then bounced off the other Rangers defenceman, Liam Maaskant and into the goal.

Zacha never saw the puck enter the net as he was actually in the process of crashing into the back boards when the puck went in.

Frank Hora got the winner for the Rangers, cutting across the front of the goal and sliding the puck past Dupuis.

The Sting will be back in action on Friday night, hosting Plymouth.







1999 - 2015 - All rights reserved

About Us       Contact       Jobs