Archives   Baseball   Bowling  Football    Hockey   3 on 3 Hockey    Lacrosse   Soccer   Lambton College-Basketball

Sarnia Legionnaires Won a Wild One

january 23, 2015

By Dan McCaffery



The Sarnia Legionnaires won a wild one at the Brock Street barn Thursday, dumping the London Nationals 7-5.

The victory, which came before just under 1,300 fans, was Sarnia's second win over London in four days.

With the triumph, the Legionnaires improved their record to 26-12-1. That leaves them in second place, three points ahead of the third ranked Chatham Maroons. But the Maroons have two games in hand on the Legionnaires.



Specialty teams were the difference in the contest, with Sarnia scoring three power-play goals on five opportunities. The Nats blinked the red light once on six manpower advantages. One of their failed power-plays came during a prolonged two-man advantage.

Head coach Dan Rose said, “We can score and we've got a lot of character in that room.” He added the score did not reflect the play, with London getting a lucky bounce on one of its goals.

Austin Kemp put the visitors ahead 1-0 just 40 seconds into the game.

But the Legionnaires scored two straight power-play goals to take the lead.


Jordan Fogarty was credited with the first one but, after the game, he said the puck was actually deflected into the net by teammate Riley Babkirk.

Still, Fogarty had a great game, scoring two goals of his own to bring his total for the campaign up to 13. More impressive still, he has four goals in his last two outings.

With the score tied at 2-2, Ryan Vendramin scored his 19th of the season with a shot just off to the side of the cage.


Shortly after that, Hunter Tyczynski notched his first of the season, firing a blistering drive under the crossbar to send Sarnia into the first intermission ahead by a goal.

In the middle frame Fogarty scored twice while Scott Goodman had the lone Nationals marker.

Fogarty just missed another goal in the final stanza when he broke in alone, only to be turned back by goalkeeper Justin Tugwell.

In the final period London's Kyle Robinson was credited with an exceptionally fluky goal that made the score 5-4.

But the Legionnaires quickly restored their two-goal edge when Brandon Layman beat Tugwell to a loose puck and sent the rubber over to defenceman Kyler Keating. Keating made no mistake, burying his 12th of the campaign.

The Nats refused to give up, however, and they were rewarded with a late goal by Matt Bean.

Cody Trowell finally put an end to the drama with an empty net tally.



Winning goalie Andrew Masters made 38 saves. Tugwell blocked 35 pucks.



It was a chippy affair, with the officials handing out 108 minutes in penalties, or exactly 54 apiece.

The Legionnaires return to action Sunday when they travel to Leamington. Their next home game is next Thursday when they host the LaSalle Vipers. Game time is set for 7:10 p.m.








© 1999 - 2015 - All rights reserved

About Us       Contact       Jobs