SMAA Football Saturday Semis

November 2, 2015

Atom Division

The Royal Canadian Legion Branch 62 Iron Hides continued their undefeated season with a 30-6 victory over the Metcalfe Photography Shock Wave. The Shock Wave were coming off an exciting over time shoot out victory in the lone quarter final game earlier in the week. On their first possession the Iron Hides struck on a 20 yard pass and run play to Parker Wyant. Ethan Hacker put the Iron Hides up 12-0 at the half on a 1 yard run. Hunter Willman had the lone touch down for the Shock Wave, who battled hard and courageously all game. In the second half the winners had an additional major from Wyant and a pair from Josh Manning earning them a trip to the championship game next Saturday.

The other semi was a close game in which the Robinson Design and Drafting Razor Claws prevailed over the Sylvan Learning Centre Fire Bolts 30-24. The Claws had an apparent comfortable 24-6 lead at the half on a pair of touchdowns by Chayton Van Barneveld and individual tallies by Mark Pack and Travis Kozak. Shane Knight replied for the Fire Bolts. The Bolts had the ball first in the second half and scored on their opening possession on a touchdown run by Knight. On their ensuing possession the Razor Claws turned the ball over. The Fire Bolts responded with another touchdown by Knight making it a 1 score game, 24-18. Mason Broer replied with a 35 yard run to restore the 12 point lead 30-18. The Fire Bolts were not done however and a 6 yard run by Zavier Mitchell closed the Bolt's deficit to 30-24, a score which held for the last 3 minutes.

Bantam Division

The first Bantam semi pitted the Bigras Painting Tiger Sharks against the Jim Easson/Brian Guenette Grizzlies. The Tiger Sharks used a ground and pound ball control offense against the Grizzlies talented tandem of the speedy Avery Smiley and the powerful Hudson Laur. On their first possession the Tiger Sharks drove the ball the length of the field in a drive that culminated on a 2 yard run by Will McArthur. Coleton Shepherd added the convert on a pass from David Graham. Hudson Laur returned the ensuing kick off 70 yards for a touchdown and Justin Cain's convert had the Grizzlies up 8-7 before they had an offensive play. The Sharks responded with another methodical drive that Dylan Hitz ended with a 28 yard run. The track meet continued as Avery Smiley sprinted for a 64 yard run restoring the Grizzly lead to 14-13. Hiltz put the Sharks up 19-15 on an 18 yard run. Momentum then appeared to turn in the Tiger Sharks favour as a fumble by the Grizzlies turned the ball over to the Tiger Shark offense, that for the fourth time in the half, drove the length of the field, breaking the plane of the goal line on a 2 yard run by Hiltz, giving the Tiger Sharks a 25-14 lead at the break. The Grizzlies responded in the second half with adjustments to their defence. The lead was narrowed to 25-21 on a 23 yard run by Smiley and a convert by Cain. Defences then came up big for both teams, with key plays with key plays on the next couple of drives. Six minutes were remaining in the game when the Grizzlies took their first lead on a 31 yard pass and run from Cain to Laur, that Cain converted. The Tiger Sharks then began their final drive. They moved the ball very well down the field, but a fumble on the Grizzly 12 yard line turned the ball over the the Grizzlies offense who were able to run the clock out for a 30-25 victory.

The finale pitted the explosive offense of the Mammoet Crane Incorporated Mammoths against the ball control offense and pesky defence of the Mechanical Contractor's Association Toros. Quarterback Ethan Kerby opened the scoring for the Toros on a 15 yard keeper. Aiden Wildfong replied for the Mammoths when he sped into the end zone untouched, from the 48 yard line. With the score knotted at 6 for over a quarter, the Toros took the lead just before the half, 14-6, on an 18 yard run by Ryan Dennis and a convert by Zachary Tremblay. The Toros came out fired up in the second half scoring 12 unanswered points on 2 short touchdown runs by Joe Rose, who was a workhorse for them all game. Leading 26-6 entering the fourth quarter the lead appeared safe. However, the Mammoths were not ready to concede defeat. Wildfong struck again, this time on a 52 yard run. After stopping the the Toro offense on downs, the Mammoths drove the ball down the field and narrowed the lead to 26-18 on a 17 yard run by Wildfong. The Toros then needed to control the clock to prevent the Mammoths from tying the game and forcing a shoot out. The ball was slowly moved down the field. On the Mammoth 15 yard line the drive appeared to stall as the Toros were 4th and 6. Cagey Jamie Dekelver called a timeout to call a play to keep the drive alive. The Toros faced a challenging situation as both quarterback Ethan Kerby and fullback Joe Rose were injured. The play was a roll out by Zachary Tremblay who hit Ryan Dennis for a touchdown. This touchdown was called back on a holding penalty making it fourth and 16 from the 25. The identical play was called and the result was the same, a touchdown and a 32-18 Toro lead. This score held for the remainder of the game.








1999 - 2015 - All rights reserved