Saturday SMAA Football Highlights

September 21, 2015

The Atom Division began with a very competitive game between the Sylvan Learning Centre Fire Bolts and the Robinson Design and Drafting Razor Claws. The Bolts led at halftime 18-12 on 2 short touchdown runs by quarterback Zavier Mitchell and a 35 yard dash by Shane Knight. Travis Kozak and Reese Baumgartner counted majors for the Razor Claws. The teams had traded touchdowns in the second half with Rylan Snider counting for the Fire Bolts and speedy Mark Pack for the Razor Claws. With time winding down the Fire Bolts were inside the Razor Claw 5 and poised for the game clinching major, but the Claw defense came up big, causing a turnover. The Razor Claws promptly marched down the field, and with little time remaining on the clock, Kozak ran the ball over the goal line to earn a 24-24 tie.

In the second game the Royal Canadian Legion Branch 62 Iron Hides opened up an 18-0 halftime lead and cruised to a 30-0 victory over the Robinson Design and Drafting Shock Wave. Josh Manning led the Hides with 2 touchdowns. Individual majors were scored by Parker Wyant, Jack Vozza and Ethan Hacker. Carter Pagano had many fine runs and outstanding tackles for the Shock Wave.

In the first PeeWee game the BrownStones Sky Fire defeated the Vidal Pharmacy Raiders 22-0. Josh Hillsdon was a powerful force for the victors, with many punishing runs. He put the Sky Fire on the board first rumbling 70 yards to the end zone. Alex Cannon also scored a touchdown which Josh Bastos converted, giving BrownStones a 14-0 halftime lead. Quarterback Josh Foulis ran for a 17 yard major in the second half that was also converted by Bastos, concluding the scoring. Tyler Kerby was a force for the Raiders both on defense and carrying the ball.

The second PeeWee game got off to an ominous beginning for the Sarnia Lakeshore Vortex as speedy Logan Smith St Jean returned the opening kickoff for 75 yards, staking the Lanxess Avengers to a 6-0 lead. Brody Hornett replied for the Vortex on their opening possession with a 6 yard run. From then, both defenses took over and the score remained knotted 6-6 at the half. The Vortex offense came to life in the second half with touchdowns by Hornett and Carter Grasse for a hard earned 18-6 victory.

The first Bantam game was a a tilt between 2 undefeated teams, the Mechanical Contractor's Association Toros and the Jim Easson/Brian Guenette Exit Realty Grizzlies. Avery Smiley and Hudson Laur were the major contributors on offense for the Grizzlies while Joe Rose and Ethan Kerby had excellent games for the Toros. Laur and Smiley ran for touchdowns for the Grizzlies in the first half and Justin Cain had a convert. Joe Rose rumbled for 42 yards for the Toros. The Grizzlies were up 14-6 at the half. The teams traded touchdowns in the third quarter and deep into the fourth quarter. Rose added 2 more for the Toros and Phillips successfully converted both. Smiley and Laur scored for the Grizzlies and Cain added the convert. With one minute remaining the Toros had closed the gap to 30-22 and were attempting a short kick to gain possession for one final push to the end zone. The kick went off the helmet of a Grizzly, hit the ground and bounced into the arms of Smiley who dashed 60 yards for the clinching touchdown and a 38-22 Grizzly victory.

In the final game of the day the Mammoet Crane Mammoths jumped all over the Bigras Painting Tiger Sharks out of the gate. On the first play from scrimmage Aiden Wildfong picked of a Tiger Shark pass and scampered 75 yards to the end zone. A touchdown pass from Wildfong to Isiah George and a 24 yard run by Wildfong, along with 2 converts by Jaxon Rawcliffe staked the Mammoths to a 22-0 half time lead. The Sharks regrouped at halftime and scored the only touchdowns of the second half on runs of 72 yards by David Graham and 1 yard by Austin West. The Mammoths prevailed 22-12.





1999 - 2015 - All rights reserved