Baseball       Football       Inline Hockey       Hockey      3 on 3 Hockey       Lacrosse       School Sports       Soccer       More Sports       Magazine     Features

Legionnaires let win slip in shootout loss to Lincolns
andrew brethauer December 22nd, 2011

Sarnia, ON - Devin Golets was the first star for the St. Marys Lincolns after a 38 save performance, as well as three saves in a shootout, helping the Lincolns come back against the Sarnia Legionnaires for a 4-3 victory Thursday night in Junior B hockey.

"We played well for ten minutes and after that we absolutely stunk," said Legionnaires Head Coach Dan Rose. "That might be the most turnovers and the most giveaways I've seen by one hockey team in one game that I have ever been involved with."

Right after the ten minute mark, St. Marys jumped on the board as Calvin Penney snapped a wrist shot past Sean Parker. Sarnia outshot the Lincolns 15-7 in the period, but the exceptional goaltending by Golets kept the Legionnaires off the board, stopping multiple scoring chances in close.

Sarnia would get their chances in the second, and Jesse Drydak would capitalize on a turnover, keeping on a 2-on-1 and firing a shot past Golets to tie the game at one. Two minutes later the Lincolns would retake the lead as Reid Oliver kept the puck on his own 2-on-1 and snapped a shot by Parker.

The Legionnaires would throw 17 shots on net in the period, but wouldn't be able to find the tying goal until there was 14 seconds remaining in the period, as Brent Sauve got a pass from Nathan Mater as he cut across the top of the crease and put it top corner on Golets.

In the third Sarnia would take their first lead of the game, as Drydak would get his second of the game on a tap in goal after Sarnia moved the puck quickly around the zone.

With a minute remaining in the game, St. Marys would pull the goalie and Sean Consitt would put a shot from the point on net, redirected in by Mitchell Berzins to tie the game with 49 seconds remaining.

Overtime would prove to solve nothing, leading to shootouts. Mitch McIntosh was stopped by Parker on the Lincolns first shot, and so was Jesse Drydak for the Legionnaires. Park and Golets would each make saves in round two, but Penney would find the back of the net on the third shot, beating Parker top corner. Evan Dixon would go in for the chance to tie the shootout but his shot would go wide, ending the game and giving St. Marys the 4-3 victory.

Sean Parker made 24 saves in the loss.

 "We continued to make soft passes. We have to be better than that, especially in our barn," said Rose. "We were on our heels the whole game. Every time we got possession of the puck we turned it over to them."

The Legionnaires continue to play short handed, especially on the blue line as Anthony Donati is still out of the line up, and Matt Cimetta was ejected from the game after a hit from behind in the first period.

"They were tired, but the forwards were turning the puck over to. We got to be better then that tomorrow night in Strathroy," said Rose. "That was just a sloppy sloppy game."

Sarnia will play their last game of the season against Strathroy on Friday, December 23rd, and will return back in the new year against London.


Follow Sarniasports on twitter @sarniasports. Get up to the minute news, and live scores

as they happen from local events.






                                                                                                                          1999 - 2011 - All rights reserved                                                   About Us       Contact       Jobs